its warm… so the maybug, or
The common cockchafer
Latin name : Melolontha melolontha
are out in force
This is how I made my isopod trap
Items I used to build the trap
1 * Small jam jar (cleaned and sterilized)
1 * The top cut off a 2 litre bottle (I used a Vimto bottle)
elastic bands hair bands as I could not find any elastic bands big enough!
Next I drilled a 6 mm hole into the bottle cap
Then using the elastic bands to hold the cap in place, place the bottle cap inverted into the jar, so hopefully the isopods find their way in but cannot get back out.
I bait using tetra marine crisps as they dissolve slowly an the pods really love them for some reason!!!
Well tonight is a very disappointing night for isopod hunting, I caught a grand total of 5 larger pods and a few of the smaller ones, I’m hoping it won’t be long till I have am rid of this pest!
Day 2 of the isopod hunt, made a few minor modifications to the trap, to make it a bit easier to assemble.
caught around 60-100 pods…
The hunt continues tomorrow night!
So after doing a bit of reading on the internet…. I decided to build a trap….
The original idea came from here : http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/bp/index.php
So I built something similar to half way down on the page…. and placed the trap into the DT and this is what happened after approx 4 mins….
Now im off to do some more more hunting….
Whilst performing a bit of maintenance…. One of these decided to take a liking to my hand….
Now I have captured a couple more
Unfortunately after closer examination, they seem to be cirolanid isopod; which are not good to have in any marine tank. Luckily they seem to love marine flake food, so im busy trapping them to rid me of this pest.
One thing that has really been annoying me over the last few weeks, is the horrendous noise the skimmer makes. The unit in question is the TMC v2 Skim 120 (http://220.127.116.11/Catalog/Product/24)
After a bit of playing around, I found the source of the noise is the air inlet on the unit. So time to get the Dremel out….
First step, is to split the unit as per the manufacturers instructions,
Here are some pictures of the bit we will be removing :
Now time to get the dremel and drill out…
First remove the top of the air intake :
Now I removed the blue air-intake and removed this bit
I had a bit of spare 6mm air tubing with a silencer on the end
So i drilled the hole that was left, out to 6mm
Now time to re-assemble…
First remove the blue pipe completely from the mixing head, and push your new hose onto this
Now re-assemble as per manufacturers instructions..
The skimmer re-assembled
Please note: this is a Guide only, I take no responsibly for you damaging your own equipment, yourself, or your tank.
So I have been busy researching on replacing the 2*18 compact pl lights that have are installed within the hood.
My main reasons for this are that
1) I want more lighting, so I can have more complex coral
2) I want to reduce the running costs (60 GPB every 6 months for bulb replacements will be expensive) along with the current load which for the hood is approx 70(ish) watts
3) To reduce the total heat load on the system, currently I am evaporating 1-2l of water a day
4) I want to keep the hood on the display tank
So to look at off the shelf units, the TMC Aquabeam 100 reef light is sort of what I require (http://18.104.22.168/Catalog/Product/2834); however, this unit on its own is over 200 gpb, and the lighting controller is around 80 gpb… I would really like a bit more light (so 1.5 of these units)…
So time to investigate a home build solution, which will be integrated with the new Raspberry Pi I have on order (so to get some nice lighting effects),
So what I can calculate so far (I am awaiting some demo units from china to confirm my calculations)
the system will need a total of (hardware)
7* Cree XPG Q5 LED’s
8 * Cree XRE Royal Blue LED’s
2 * dimmable 27w constant current led drivers (maybe more at a lesser wattage depending on my effects programmming)
1 * 300mm x 250mm heatsink
1 * (possibly) 120mm fan
10 * xml 80 deg lenses
5 * XRE 80 deg lenses
a shed load of C++ code to control it all…
so here’s awaiting the samples so I can “test” things 🙂